Topic introduction and discussion using reading
Here is a step-by-step guide to using this lesson plan in the classroom/laboratory. We have suggested these steps as a possible plan of action. You may customize the lesson plan according to your preferences and requirements.
Use a brief introduction to the Climate Activist, Greta Thunberg, whose talk will be examined for listening comprehension in this lesson plan.
- Begin with the following questions to understand the context and content of the talk to be examined.
- What do you think of climate change?
- What do you think of your role as a child/young adult in reducing climate change?
- Do you find yourself having different views than your family or friends about climate change?
- Use a news report, ‘Greta Thunberg: 16-year-old climate activist inspired international youth movement’ by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), that introduces Greta Thunberg, the speaker of the recorded TED talk, which is the primary text. Thunberg is one of the most well-known faces in climate activism and is herself of school going age. Discuss her primary achievements, her personal struggles, and her arguments for activism among young adults.