This lesson plan allows students to to understand phenology and phenological events in plants and animals. Further, the activities help students to determine the possible relationship between climate and phenological events such as leaf-out in plants. The exercises stimulate thinking about the possible impact of climate change on these periodic life-cycle events.
Thus, the use of this lesson plan allows you to integrate the teaching of a climate science topic with a core topic in the Biological Sciences.
Grade Level: High school, Undergraduate
Discipline: Biological Sciences
Topics: Phenology in Plants, Phenological Events in Plants, Life-cycle Events in Plants, Leaf-out in Plants
Climate Topic: Climate and the Biosphere
Access: Online (some material can be downloaded for offline use)
The tools in this lesson plan will enable students to:
- define phenology
- enumerate various phenological events in plants and animals
- analyze data on life-cycle events in plants
- interpret data on life-cycle events in plants
- discuss the possible link between climate and phenological events in plants
- discuss the potential impact of climate change on periodic life-cycle events in plants